Monday 24 June 2013

Mother Who Dumped Baby In Bush Blames It On Joblessness


A baby girl was abandoned by her mother at a backyard  of an apartment in Kuje, Abuja and the mother of the child has blamed her action on joblessness as she had no money for the baby's upkeep.
Favour Abdulazeez, said she abandoned the child because she was "divorced and unemployed".
According to her after keeping the baby in a carton in the bush, she decided to stay back and hid to know who would pick the baby so she could keep an eye on her.
“All along, I was monitoring the baby’s situation, I know those who picked the baby and took her to the police,” Abdulazeez said.
“I was listening to their conversation from my hideout, I even followed them from a distance when they were taking my baby away,” she said.
She now begs for public assistance to take care of the baby.
Abdulazeez, who turned up at the police outpost in Gwagwalada on Friday to claim ownership of the baby, added: “I told the police that I would take care of my baby if only the government would assist me with a job or a trade no matter how small,’’ she said.
The Police Area Command in Gwagwalada, FCT, Yahaya Musa, had on Friday declined comments on the matter, saying that he was not authorized to speak to newsmen on the matter.
Hanatu Turu, Head of the Social Welfare Department of Gwagwalada Area Council, said that she was aware of the incident. She said police should be allowed to conclude their investigations.
Abdulazeez was said to have been delivered of the baby girl on June 13 and secretly put her in a carton and took her to a nearby bush behind her house at night, where she abandoned the baby.
A resident in the area and neighbour, who pleaded anonymity, adding that it was the cry of the baby that drew the attention of passers-by who later took the baby to the police outpost.

No comments:

Post a Comment