Wednesday 14 August 2013

Steven Gerrard: I'll quit as England captain... and Jack Wilshere should replace me

STEVEN GERRARD has hinted he will quit England after next summer's World Cup - and nominated Jack Wilshere to succeed him as skipper.

Steven Gerrard tipped, Wilshere, captainSteven Gerrard has tipped Wilshere for the England captaincy
Three Lions captain Gerrard, 33, admitted his time at international level is fast running out.
But he is convinced Arsenal boy wonder Wilshere, 21, will inherit the armband once the Liverpool star's career is over.
Gerrard, who will win his 103rd cap against Scotland tonight, said: "Even though he's young, without adding pressure to Jack he's one of the best players in the squad.
"I'm sure when he gets to my age he will be sitting in my position with the armband on talking about another 100 cap player."
And would Wilshere succeed him as captain?
"I've got no doubt about that," he said.
Can Wilshere move into the forefront of the England set-up?Can Wilshere move into the forefront of the England set-up?
“Gerrard hailed Wilshere on the eve of England's first clash with Scotland since a 1-0 Wembley defeat in 1999”
Gerrard then went on to clarify his own position ahead of England's last friendly before four crucial World Cup qualifiers that will decide if Roy Hodgson's side make it to Brazil.
"I've got to assume it's my last year. I can't assume I'm going to be here in two or three years' time," he said.
"I've got to make the most of every single game. For all I know, I might be out of the picture in a year's time. I want to make the most of it."
Wilshere, who has been capped seven times, said: "It's a kid's dream to captain your country. Growing up, David Beckham was my role model. It's up to whoever is in charge but that would be a dream come true."
Gerrard feels WIlshere is already one of the best players in the squadGerrard feels WIlshere is already one of the best players in the squad
Gerrard hailed Wilshere on the eve of England's first clash with Scotland since a 1-0 Wembley defeat in 1999.
Gerrard said: "I know it is classed as a friendly but we want to beat Scotland.
"It hurt when Don Hutchison scored that only goal. It will probably be my last chance of playing them so if we get a win, it will be one I will remember for the rest of my life."
Elsewhere, Roy Hodgson will be wanting his players to be focus on tonight's big friendlyElsewhere, Roy Hodgson will be wanting his players to be focus on tonight's big friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment