Wednesday 19 June 2013

ROB BURROW HAILS LEEDS' KIDS PLAY

ABOVE: Rob Burrow has been surprised at how quickly 'his' youngsters have broken through
“
I wasn’t hoping they’d make it this quick because it makes me feel old.
”
Rob Burrow
19th June 2013

ROB BURROW feels like a proud dad watching the kids he coached break into Leeds’ first team.

But the Rhinos star admits it makes him feel very old – and small – playing with the club’s three new giant wonder babes.
Burrow coaches Leeds’ Under-16s and two years ago knew he had some budding stars on his hands.
But even Burrow says he is shocked at how quickly Liam Sutcliffe, Thomas Minns and Jordan ­Baldwinson have come on.
The England hooker joked: “I wasn’t hoping they’d make it this quick because it makes me feel old. I’m only 30, but they’re so young.”
All three 18-year-olds played in Monday’s 38-28 win over Widnes because of the Rhinos’ massive ­injury problems.
Burrow said: “It’s funny because it doesn’t seem that long ago that I coached them at Under-15s level and then at Under-16s.
“After that they got signed on and were taken out of my hands, but I always knew they would make it.”
One of Burrow’s other kids, 18-year-old Mason Tonks, was 18th man on Monday, much to the ­delight of 5ft 5ins Burrow.
He added: “I was passing the ball between them all in training and I put the average age up by about 10 years. They are all over 6ft, so I have quite a way to look up when I’m telling them what to do.” ­Sutcliffe has played five games since ­making his debut last month, while Minns has the last two games to his ­credit, with Baldwinson debuting against the Vikings.
With Tonks on the fringes, ­Burrow believes it could be the start of another successful era for the champions.
Burrow was part of a golden ­generation of kids who broke through more than a decade ago and have stayed loyal to Leeds ever since.
That group includes Danny McGuire, Kevin Sinfield, Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Ryan Bailey.
And Burrow said: “The club see these lads as the next major batch. It’s similar to what ­happened around my time, so the future looks bright.”

No comments:

Post a Comment