Friday 14 June 2013

DAVID WARNER: I'M SO SORRY


ABOVE: Warner has been suspended until the first Test of the Ashes and fined £7,000 for the attack on Joe
“
I exchanged text messages with Joe, he accepted my apology which I am thoroughly grateful for and it won't come to that circumstance again
”
David Warner
14th June 2013

By Pete Samson

DAVID WARNER last night issued a grovelling apology to Joe Root for punching the England star on a boozy night out.

Warner has been suspended until the first Test of the Ashes and fined £7,000 for the bar-room attack on Root, which he admitted was inexcusable.
The Aussie opener clashed with rising star Root in Birmingham's Walkabout theme pub in the early hours of Sunday morning following England's 48-run win at Edgbaston.
And yesterday he came forward to admit he was bang out of order.
Warner said: "The incident that occurred, that I had struck Joe Root in the face, I'm here today to put my hand up and apologise publicly to Joe.
"I am responsible for my actions, extremely remorseful. I have let not just my team-mates down, but thee Cricket Australia fans, the support staff, myself, my family, I'm sincerely apologetic."
Warner, who pleaded guilty to breaching Cricket Australia's code of behaviour, revealed he had been in contact with Root by text.
"I exchanged text messages with Joe, he accepted my apology which I am thoroughly grateful for and it won't come to that circumstance again."
Warner admitted he had been drinking, but insisted he did not have a problem with alcohol.
"I wont deny I had a couple of drinks, but there's no excuse for that," he said. "I did what I did and it's totally out of line."
Asked what prompted his reaction in the bar, he said: "We're not here to speculate about what happened. I'm here to apologise."
The incident happened less than three weeks after Warner was fined £3,700 for a Twitter rant at a journalist.
Captain Michael Clarke, alongside Warner at the press conference at Kensington's Royal Garden Hotel, said: "He knows very clearly how I feel.
"He knows how disappointed I am and the team are and he knows he'll have to do everything in his power now to be involved in that first Test match.
"This behaviour is unacceptable as an Australia cricketer."

No comments:

Post a Comment