Sunday 2 June 2013

JOHN BARNES: LIVERPOOL SHOULD SELL LUIS SUAREZ


DAILY STAR SUNDAY
ABOVE: John Barnes has told Liverpool to sell Luis Suarez
“
I would like Luis Suarez to stay but if he is not happy and doesn’t want to then he’s got to go.
”
Liverpool legend John Barnes
2nd June 2013

By Carl Eldridge

SULKING Luis ­Suarez has been told by Kop great John Barnes it is best that he leaves ­Liverpool this ­summer.

The controversial ­Uruguay striker has stunned boss Brendan Rodgers by demanding a ­transfer.

And shell-shocked legend Barnes believes wantaway ­Suarez should be hurried out of the Anfield exit door if he no longer has the desire to play for the Reds.

Suarez, 26, has declared he wants a move from the Merseysiders and has been linked with a £40million switch to Real Madrid.

The striker, who scored 23 Premier League goals last season, moaned that he has endured fierce criticism during his time in the English top flight.

He reckons that came to a head after he was given a ten-match ban for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.

He said: “I think that it’s understandable I leave.

“The coach and my colleagues know that the press didn’t treat me well. I don’t feel comfortable any more.

“I don’t have any offer yet and I don’t know when I will leave – but it is a good moment for a change of ­environment after all I have been through in England.

“I have not spoken with Real Madrid nor with Liverpool and my agent has not told me ­anything either.”

Now Barnes, 49, who played more than 300 games for ­Liverpool over a decade from 1987, has urged ­Rodgers to flog the unhappy hitman.

He said: “I would like Luis Suarez to stay but if he is not happy and doesn’t want to then he’s got to go.

“I always tell fans to fall in love with the club not with individual players.

“Players come and go. Fernando Torres decided to move on from Liverpool, Wayne Rooney could leave Manchester United and Robin van Persie left Arsenal last summer.

“Yes, I want Luis Suarez to stay. I think he’s a great ­player. Forget what he does off the field – I’m not judging him by that – but if he wants to go, then he should go and fans should accept that.”

Meanwhile, Rodgers has been urged to splash the cash on highly-rated Schalke defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

Greek star Papadopoulos, 21, joined the German club from Olympiakos two seasons ago and Rodgers believes he could strengthen the Anfield backline following the retirement of Jamie Carragher.

And Schalke indicated they are ready to allow the player to move to Merseyside for around £13m by signing Borussia Dortmund’s Brazilian defender Felipe Santana, 27.

Former Liverpool idol Jan Molby has welcomed the bid to snare the big Bundesliga stopper.

He said: “I’m not surprised that Liverpool are hoping to secure the services of Papadopoulos this summer.

“He is as strong as a bull, dominant in the air and very good in one-on-one situations.

“When I’ve seen him in action in Champions League matches, I’ve been impressed.

“He hasn’t played since before Christmas due to a knee problem but I’m sure Liverpool will have received reassurances that he has made a complete ­recovery.

“He certainly fits the profile in terms of the type Liverpool seem to want to build a team around – he’s a ­talented young ­player with real ­potential.”

Rodgers has landed Man City central defender Kolo Toure and Molby, 49, has applauded that deal, too.

He added: “I can see the appeal of bringing in Toure on a free transfer.

“I am sure that Toure would  understand what his role would be.

“He wouldn’t be starting every week but there would still be plenty of games for him to take part in.

“When Man City signed him four years ago, most clubs in the world would have taken him at that time.

“He’s older now but at 32 he still has ­plenty to offer Liverpool.”

No comments:

Post a Comment