ABOVE: Prince Philip will be in hospital for two weeks
He is expected to stay in hospital for up to two weeks.
PRINCE Philip went into hospital last night for an emergency operation.
He is expected to spend two weeks at Britain's largest private hospital, The London Clinic in Harley Street.
The Queen is said to be naturally concerned and being kept fully informed, a royal source said.
Philip, who turns 92 on Monday, will have the "exploratory" op on his abdomen under general anaesthetic today. The nature of his condition is not being discussed.
But it is not thought to be linked to other illnesses he suffered recently, such as his bladder problem.
Buckingham Palace said: "The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to the London Clinic for an exploratory operation following abdominal investigations.
"He is expected to stay in hospital for up to two weeks."
Yesterday Philip seemed fine during two Royal engagements.
First he received New Zealand's highest honour from the Queen.
Then he appeared to be on good form at a Buckingham Palace garden party where he was "cracking jokes".
Shortly after he was driven to the hospital where it is understood, he had checks earlier this week.
It is thought he lost his voice and was in some discomfort.
Today the Queen will put on a brave face as she officially opens the BBC's new £1billion home in central London without her husband by her side.