Saturday 13 July 2013

JONJO SHELVEY'S SWANSEA MOVE IS JUST THE TICKET


ABOVE: Shelvey's lack of game time at Liverpool led him away from Anfield
“
I felt I wasn’t going to get the game-time there that I wanted and that Swansea could offer me that.
”
Jonjo Shelvey
13th July 2013

By Phil Cadden

JONJO SHELVEY believes his big-money move to Swansea can help provide a passport to the World Cup with England.

The ex-Liverpool midfielder won his only Three Lions cap in a World Cup qualifier against San Marino last October.
But his international hopes burn bright again after he joined Michael Laudrup’s men in a £5m deal last week.
And Shelvey, 21, hopes he can do well enough at the Liberty Stadium to impress England boss Roy Hodgson – his former manager at Anfield – and win a place at the finals in Brazil next summer.
Shelvey said: “If I play every week, I hope my performances will get recognised international-wise.
“It will be part of Swansea’s history when that happens as they’ve never had a current England international before so fingers crossed it can be me who does it.”
Shelvey quit Liverpool after boss Brendan Rodgers admitted he could not promise him regular first-team football at the end of a frustrating season which included just nine Premier League starts. 
The former Charlton starlet added: “It was tough to leave Liverpool because they are a great club with great history.
“To come away from a club like that was a big decision.
“But I felt I wasn’t going to get the game-time there that I wanted and that Swansea could offer me that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment