Friday 31 May 2013

THAT GOAL JUST A BLUR TO JOHN BARNES


ABOVE: England goalscorers John Barnes (left) and Mark Hateley celebrate the win over Brazil in 1984
“
To score a goal like that is very difficult against modern defenders
”
John Barnes
31st May 2013

By Paul Brown

JOHN BARNES made his name at the Maracana with a wonder goal which brought him worldwide fame.

But the former Liverpool winger, 49, reckons it will be almost impossible for any of Roy Hodgson's boys to follow suit on Sunday.

Barnes dribbled through the heart of the Brazil defence before rounding the keeper and slotting home one of England's greatest goals in a 2-0 win in Rio in 1984.

He said: "It was iconic because it was against Brazil in the Maracana.

"But it was a friendly.

If it had been a World Cup match, somebody would have tackled me round my neck.

"To score a goal like that is very difficult against modern defenders.

"If I was the Brazil manager back then, I would not be very happy with some of the challenges.

"But I think the defenders would be a bit better now so it would be harder to do that, unless you were a Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi - and I wasn't a Ronaldo or a Messi!"

Barnes played for England 79 times, at the time a record for a black player, but insists he scored better goals at club level.

He said: "I scored a better goal for Watford against Rotherham. There was one I scored against QPR too.

"I don't remember anything I actually did in scoring that goal in Brazil."

No comments:

Post a Comment